Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:39:20 -0500
Denise writes:  "I know of no better way to poll a wide range of
ractices than to ask all of you about your hypoglycemia protocols.
Yesterday I encountered a doctor that wants his newborns to have blood
sugars 50 mg/dl and above immediately after birth.  We finally got a
protocol that was "liveable" involving not doing blood sugars (or
Chem-Strips) on as many babies and then guidelines that said 40 mg/dl
and above.  The octor tells me it is becoming community standard (Puget
Sound area).  I have asked for research studies and he says they were
published the last of 1999 but can't remember which journal.  I asked
that he find them and give me a copy.  I searched hard last night to
find new articles but did not come up with any.  Have any of you come
across new information?"

The WHO (World Health Organization) guidelines from 1997 are at:

http://www.who.int/chd/publications/imci/bf/hypoglyc/hypoclyc.htm

This is a very complete and well referenced document.  Check it out.

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York