From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 12:53:41 -0400
I have recently met with a patient who has inverted nipples.
She wants to correct them prior to becoming pregnant, and
on her own scouted out articles on the "Niplette"--a suction
cup device that is used by plastic surgeons. She supplied
me with a journal article:

"Ideas and Innovations: The 'Niplette': an Instrument for the
non-surgical correction of inverted nipples," D.D. McGeorge,
British Journal of Plastic Surgery (1994), 47, 46, 49.

I recall that this device was exhibited (and sold) at ILCA
Conference 1993.

My patient also included newspaper articles about women
who used the product to correct their inverted nipples. The
journal article, and the feature stories, tout a 100% success
rate and subsequent successful breastfeeding.

What does the combined wisdom and experience of Lactnet
have to say on this sort of product? (Perhaps it is
one-of-a-kind?) I did explain to this woman that inverted
nipples are not always a problem for breastfeeding but she is
quite convinced to try to correct them NOW. The journal
article seems "too good to be true" but, if the success rate is
so high, then perhaps our physicians need to know about
this technology.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Margery Wilson, IBCLC