Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:33:44 EST
Hi all,

Have a 4 1/2 month old who, for the past several weeks, has been tugging  and
pulling at the breast, pushing with his hands -- all the classic signs (to
my way of thinking) of low supply.  Saw him yesterday, and while these kids
are generally distractible anyway, mom says he does it at night even when it is
dark.  He weighs 17-2, but only gained 4 ounces in the last 12 days.
Started out at 11 pounds, so is on the slow end of gaining (6 pounds in 4 1/2
months), but of course, is completely robust and healthy looking.

No evidence of yeast or food intolerances, but he's just not happy at the
breast.  A bit hard to tell what is going on as he really didn't want to  nurse
when he was here -- mom had fed him two hours previously, so he settled
enough to transfer 36 ml, but was not happy being *made* to nurse when he really
didn't want to.  During the day he usually eats every 4 to 5 hours, and is  now
nursing every 2 1/2 to 3 hours at night.  Mom's nipples sore -- baby  just
not happy at the breast.  Other than a decreased milk supply (which I  suspect),
could there be anything else?

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, Wheaton IL
_www.lactationeducationconsultants.com_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)
"I  would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there
isn't,  than live my life as though there isn't, and die to find out there
is." -  Pascal