From:
Dany Gauthier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 12:19:42 -0500
When a breastfeeding mother has severe engorgement or mastitis she is always
at risk for a decreased milk supply. In some cases, this effect can be
reversed, in others...the breast will never function the same way. I, myself
suffered a severe mastitis 1 week postpartum. I was hospitalized with my
baby (I would not go in if they did not accept!!!) for eight days with
antibiotherapy IV. I was so feverish, they had trouble sticking the
adhesives to hold the IV on me, they just would not stick to my hot skin.

Since then, and even though I never stopped breastfeeding, that particular
breast can not produce as it used to. I assume it is because some damage has
been done to the gland. But I also know that when you start to breastfeed a
baby, the first 42 days are critical in the formation of ocytocin receptors
all around the alveolas. If, during that time, some kind of problem stops
the formation of these receptors or destroys them, there  will be problems
with milk production. Dr. Lawrence explained this very well in a conference
she gave in Chicago last summer.

Also, we know that a severe engorgement will flatten the milk producing
cells. These cells can be destroyed for the whole period of that particular
lactogenesis. They will only regenerate after the next pregnancy and when
the new lactogenesis occurs...Food for thought, uh?

Dany Gauthier IBCLC
Tel: 514-923-3792
Fax:514-923-3802