From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 14:03:21 -0500
Hi everyone - I need help with a problem from those more experienced in
dealing with MDs and HMOs.

The other day a mother of a premie called.  The baby is almost 4 weeks
old, still being fed exclusively by NG tube.  Weight is now 1600 gm.
Mother has been pumping and bringing milk to hospital.  The problem is
that she is using a M----mini-electric.  Her supply is inadequate.  We
discussed increasing the frequency of pumping.  I also know that her HMO
*will* supply medical equipment when prescribed by one of their MDs.
After our conversation the mother contacted the HMO and was told that
they would sign the appropriate forms so that she could get a pump.  The
only problem is that when she went to the HMO pharmacy to get a pump they
only have the G--small pump.  Not a full sized one in sight.
Questions -
How can/ should the prescription for the pump be phrased so that the HMO
is obligated to provide the proper pump for this mother?
If she does not manage to get a pump from them what other help can I
provide her?
(This is a LLL call)
TIA

Sarah Friend Barnett, LLLL, IBCLC