From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:14:26 -0500
Barbara,
Thank you so much for your kind words, support, and encouragement. I have
heard from many of you, and I so appreciate it. So I wanted to publicly say
thanks. Lactnet and the many fine individuals that make it special mean so
much to me.
I am trying to focus on the positive steps that have been accomplished in
the approximately 10 wks I've been at this new place of employment:
Training of about 40 staff, including the manager, postpartum head nurse,
and L&D head nurse - w/ excellent feedback.
early Followup calls now taking place.
Written reports to physicians when bf problems identified.
Networking with WIC, school based health clinic (teen moms).
Collaborative effort with LC and nutritionists re JCAHO-required nutrition
info to moms (making sure it is bf friendly and correct)
Updating written handouts w/ accurate bf info
A new (and good) bf booklet to give to moms - doing away with the Ross
stuff.
Starting to work on a bf / meds policy.
Revising policy stating baby's can't visit moms if mom has fever.
Adding a free standing bf class, separate from the childbirth classes that
also cover bf and formula feeding - I will teach, I will also teach the bf
part of the CB class.
Asked the boss if I can add a return to work class and a support group.
Monthly f/u calls to identify whether mothers are reaching their early bf
goals and i.d. barriers if not.
Oh well, I guess I am making progress; I guess I'm just impatient.
Thanks all for the wonderful support.
Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, RN, MN
New Orleans LA, USA