From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 18:20:35 -0500
Sure why not stop for fluorescein dye.  You need a microscope to see it
in the retina for crying out loud.  If it got into the milk in
signficant amounts, the milk would be green.

Demand information from the opthalmologist which shows this stuff gets
into the milk in significant amounts.  Until s/he can provide it, assure
the mother that the dye is fine.  The ignorance of these people is
highlighted by their saying the mother needs to stop for three days.
Can they explain this.  Are they telling us the half life of this stuff
is 12 hours or so (5 half lives to virtual complete elimination?).

Breastfeeding is too important for the mother and baby to allow its
sacrifice on the altar of some opthalmologist's ignorance.

I am in a foul mood today.  I ask indulgence and forgiveness for any
excess.  But I am just sick of people telling mothers they can't
breastfeed, without any evidence that this is the case, and then *we*
have to run our butts off trying to prove its okay to breastfeed.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC