From:
Duce Linda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:20:07 -0500
Help, help!

Have a mom (permission to post) with intense nipple pain during latch--tears
streaming down her cheeks, SHE arches etc. (I've seen reactions to bad
latches and hormonal soreness, but this is the worst I've ever seen.) Baby
tends to pull his chin up, but even when corrected, the wide-open mouth
isn't helping her initial latch pain, and she finds the entire experience
uncomfortable.  This mom also stated her nipples and breasts were extremely
tender throughout her pregnancy--just brushing against something was
terribly painful. They tried ice to her nipples previously, which evidently
helped a latch.  She did try nipple shield, but was unable to tolerate the
touch of that as well. Nipples are intact, larger (5 cent + sized). They did
not nurse their first baby.  On top of this, dad jumped in the middle of my
attempt to assist as if I was allowing the baby to kill her. (No pinch line
when taking baby off the breast either.)

I have suggested pain medication before she nurses (not my usual plan, but
think it would be helpful here), alternate positions, efforts to accomodate
larger nipples, correct latch, and could conceivably pump (tho am not sure
she could even tolerate the discomfort of the pump).  Does anyone have
another suggestion?

Am also thinking she might want to try another person based on dad's
response.

Many Thanks in Advance,
~Linda Duce RN, CNM  Austin, TX