From:
Valerie Banarie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 13:33:24 -0500
On a more personal  note, after the Northridge earthquake, when there was no
electricity or safe water available (unless purchased) I was so grateful to
be breastfeeding my then 5 month old daughter.  What a nightmare it would
have been to have to find ABM, water to mix with or clean bottles with, and
lug all that stuff around while living with others, and out of our car.  That
second night, when we were in the Red Cross shelter, it was so comforting to
be able to hold her close throughout the night and offer the breast when she
cried.

I do have to admit though, that I have told parents to take ABM pre-mixed
samples they get at the hospital  (do the ABM companies still send their
product to new parent's doors?  I haven't seen any of that since I moved) and
place them with the earthquake supplies.  It was always a great concern of
mine, and I think a pretty realistic one, that I would be in a different part
of town and separated from my baby for many hours/days by an earthquake. I am
always careful to say that however tempting, a crying baby at 3:00am is not
the same caliber of emergency, and once placed in the supplies the ABM should
stay there unless truely needed.  I also give my home phone number to my
clients for those times when the call of the ABM is loudest, and in 8 years I
have to say that I have been called only twice in the middle of the night.