Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:09:50 +0000
Sue

I am a general peds and have run into this problem from time to time. I
have some questions.  First, what has the work-up of this baby been and
was the baby diagnosed with milk/protien intolerance?  Did the baby have
a colonoscopy  to come to this diagnosis? Have they done a trial of
stopping the BF and did the bleeding stop?  And then restart on BF? Also
what are the babies other symtoms?diarria, fever etc.?

In my experience I try everything  and look very hard for other
diagnosis like anal fissure, infection ,some conginital  GI malformation
or polyps. If the parents want to continue BF( I hope!!),  they should
really push their Dr to cometo the correct diagnosis not just make a
presumptious diagnosis baised  on impomplete info.

Finally and most importantly what is the hemoglobin?  Has it remained
stable? Some GI docters have worked with me and my patients and not
pushed changing to formula as long as the babies weight and hemoglobin
are stable.

Good Luck

Ben Helgemo M.D. a lactation consultant wanta be.