From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2010 19:56:26 -0500
Dear all:

My apologies.  I am a sloppy typist and I wrote mm instead of ml in regards to infant stomach size.  Which someone politely and correctly pointed out to me is a square (for the 2 dimensions that comprise length) and the other is a cube (for three dimensions that comprise volume).

The NEW American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations actually specify a vitamin D only preparation -- not TriViSol.  I read it once and will read it again to make sure I really comprehend the whole thing.  I think that it is very important to not overload with unnecessary vitamins and was glad to see this in the recommendations.

Premature infants have different needs because they have been deprived of sufficient time in utero to store the nutrients that they should get via the umbilical cord rather than by ingesting them.  This then causes a situation in which they do have needs that full term infants have -- just like the nutrient needs of infants and toddlers are different than preschoolers and adults.

Best, Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC