From:
Victoria Nesterova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:24:47 +0200
Dear friends,

I was lucky to help beautiful mom and baby pair two days ago.
Baby is one month old now. Feedings were very painful because of positional
issues and mom had severe vasospasms afterwards. Baby was looking really
happy when we moved her in the snug comfortable position and smiled
beautifully after feeding. Mom was happy too.
Now feedings are much more comfortable; mom feeds baby in football hold -
she was
reluctant to try different positions because of fear of pain and decided to
keep with this position for some time. Baby is calm but adamantly wants to
nurse constantly and that makes mom tired.  She wrote to me that her
daughter seems to gurgle with all that milk inside her after feeding, spits
up some little amount (never spit before) and wants to nurse or just to hold
the
nipple in her mouth again. She also poops every time when nurses.
I assume that little one cluster feeds because she wants to catch up for the
not so comfortable
feedings in the first weeks. May be, she also experiences growth spurt. I am
not sure it is reaction to overactive letdown, because baby is calm, just
wants to be near mom and to nurse. Nevertheless, I shared with the mom
recommendations for dealing with it. After all, baby seemed to gain normally
when she literally hanged on the nipple and had one-sided feedings every 3
hours for month.
My question is: Has anyone seen babies who after fixing the latch and
changing positioning increased the frequency of feedings dramatically? How
long these frequent feedings does took place? Mom wants some reassuarance
that it is  not forever

As I understood from looking through the archives, she can experience
vasospasms for some time after latch is fixed.

Sincerely yours, Victoria Nesterova,

Kiev, Ukraine