From:
Diane DiCarlo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 11:16:55 -0500
I'm de-lurking for the first time on this one. Usually I just read and I've
learned a whole lot from the knowledgable people on this list.

I've read that some women have an excess of an enzyme (lipase) which begins
to break down the milk within hours of being expressed. The milk develops a
foul odor and taste, and freezing just slows the process.

The only way I know of to deal with it is to heat the milk to a scalding
temperature, which will inactivate the enzyme and -- unfortunately -- the
"good guys" living in the milk as well. :-/  Of course, the child drinking
the sterilized milk will still get the nutritional advantages of breastmilk,
but s/he will have to rely on milk direct from the source for leukeocytes.

I had tried once before to post this, but I'm not sure it went through since
I haven't seen it in two days. Please forgive me if it ends up being a
duplicate post.

Diane DiCarlo
Mom to Emma and LLLL applicant