Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2012 17:07:26 -0400
Rachel writes:

Pat asks  whether it's possible that mothering develops the way other
skills do  according to P.Benner in 'From novice to expert'.  I would say 'yes'
about the practical parts of it and 'no' about the emotional parts of  it.

~~~ Since I don't want to highlight and CutNPaste all the wonderfully
insightful things Rachel wrote, I will just say thank you for a great post. I
see care-giving/"parenting" behaviors in my own adult but childless children
as  they interact with their young cousins, the children of friends, the
children  they work with, and the animals they love and care for, as well as
how they  nurture my husband and I and others in their lives when we have
tough  days. Very interesting to muse on all this...

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA