From:
"Hoover, Janet - DH" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:14:17 -0700
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1046%2Fj.1365-2184.36.s.1.7.x
Cell Proliferation
Volume 36 Issue s1 Page 73  - October 2003
doi:10.1046/j.1365-2184.36.s.1.7.x

Evidence of progenitor cells of glandular and myoepithelial cell lineages in
the human adult female breast epithelium: a new progenitor (adult stem) cell
concept
Werner Boecker and Horst Buerger
Abstract. Although experimental data clearly confirm the existence of
self-renewing mammary stem cells, the characteristics of such progenitor
cells have never been satisfactorily defined. Using a double
immunofluorescence technique for simultaneous detection of the basal
cytokeratin 5, the glandular cytokeratins 8/18 and the myoepithelial
differentiation marker smooth muscle actin (SMA), we were able to
demonstrate the presence of CK5+ cells in human adult breast epithelium.
These cells have the potential to differentiate to either glandular
(CK8/18+) or myoepithelial cells (SMA+) through intermediary cells (CK5+ and
CK8/18+ or SMA+). We therefore proceeded on the assumption that the CK5+
cells are phenotypically and behaviourally progenitor (committed adult stem)
cells of human breast epithelium. Furthermore, we furnish evidence that most
of these progenitor cells are located in the luminal epithelium of the
ductal lobular tree. Based on data obtained in extensive analyses of
proliferative breast disease lesions, we have come to regard usual ductal
hyperplasia as a progenitor cell-derived lesion, whereas most breast cancers
seem to evolve from differentiated glandular cells. Double
immunofluorescence experiments provide a new tool to characterize
phenotypically progenitor (adult stem) cells and their progenies. This model
has been shown to be of great value for a better understanding not only of
normal tissue regeneration but also of proliferative breast disease.
Furthermore, this model provides a new tool for unravelling further the
regulatory mechanisms that govern normal and pathological cell growth.