From:
Amber L Tysse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:02:10 -0600
My name is Amber Tysse and I am a nursing student at the University of
North Dakota in Grand Forks.  I am writing regarding a topic that I find
very interesting: breastfeeding and alcohol consumption. The research I
have found supports two different views on the subject.

Some cultures believe that drinking small quantities of alcohol when
breastfeeding can benefit both the infant and mother.
According to the Nutrition Research Newsletter (Mennella, 1998), nearly
half of the lactating women in a recent study reported that their health
professional suggested drinking alcohol to improve the quantity and
quality of their milk. CR Howard and RA Lawrence (1998) also state that
moderate amounts of alcohol use is compatible with breastfeeding.

However, most current research shows that infant consumption of breastmilk
is significatly decreased following the mother's intake of alcohol.  The
explanation of this is still unknown but research
suggests that when a mother consumes alcohol, the availability of her
milk and its composition are affected. (Beauchamp & Mennella, 1993;
Mennella, 1998)

I have searched the Lactnet archives and there seems to be a consensus
that alcohol is secreted in the breast milk but that it is not considered
to be harmful to the infant if the amount and duration are limited.
According to Thomas Hale, Ph.D. (1996) oral bioavailability of alcohol is
100% with the peak plasma level at 30-90 minutes.  He suggests avoiding
breastfeeding for two to three hours after consuming alcohol.

This topic has been researched extensively for many years but there is
still no concrete answer.   In your professional opinions and with your
experience, what would/do you recommend to your clients when this subject
is brought up?

Thank you for your response and time.

Amber Tysse, SN
University of North Dakota