From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 21:45:55 -0500
Has anyone here had success getting doctors' offices to get rid of these --
or at least the ones that go beyond the scope of formula-related topics (I'm
thinking of the ones on supplementation for the BF mother and handling a
child with frequent diarrhea -- things like that) and get some BF literature
into their offices? My FP, who is only moderately BF friendly but who is
*very* open to suggestions and opinions, is starting his own practice, and
my husband and I opened a dialogue with him the other day on the subject. He
agreed that their literature was self-serving and was very open to
suggestions. He asked me to send him an LLL catalog. I want to put together
a nice package to send him. I also want to put together a package for the FP
office he's currently with, as they fancy themselves very BF friendly
despite the overwhelming quantities of Ross literature (which my less
tactful husband simply moves en masse to the garbage).

I'm a little stumped on how to work with him WRT formula samples. He agrees
with me in part -- he thinks they should be given to women who "can't
afford" it. He also likes the idea of informed consent, although he does not
seem to have a clear idea about the risks of formula: He encourages moms to
"get to that three-month mark at least" and his own wife stopped when their
baby was a few months old -- probably due to his advice. He also calls
formula "extremely safe." I think he just doesn't know any better, and I
want to work on that too before I relocate in a few months. :-)

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Janice Berry
Columbus, Ohio USA