From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:49:06 -0400
I am going to apologize for singling Jake out on the list. She was among
a group of those who participated in the discussion on Lactnet regarding
circumcision. I should not have singled her out, as she was not the only
one who was speaking about this issue in the way that we did not find
clinically relevant to the evidence about breastfeeding. To the issue of
breastfeeding in a scientific sense. That said, I do apologize for
singling her out, and for misspelling her name. It was a typo, and I
didn't read close enough to see it.

As I said, this issue is loaded...as are some others. When I started
this list in 1995, I had a 3 year old. I was home a lot. I had time (why
does it feel like I had more time? Now my oldest just went off to
college?) I guess my mom wasn't requiring so much care...and, well, it
just seems to me that life was not so intense.  I am seriously
questioning whether or not I have the time to do this job properly..the
job of reading and commenting and guiding. Kathleen Auerbach did not
have the time, after some years, and she had to leave to attend to her
life. I am committed to doing the best job of guiding this list that is
possible for me.  There are ebbs and flows, and I am definitely in an
ebb, time and energy wise, due to family responsibilities. Jake spoke,
and it was as though I had heard this "argument before," and I wanted
the discussion to be polite and non conflagrational. (is that a word? :
) )

In doing so, I had the right idea, but the wrong words and timing, and
the entire thing could have been done better. As my friend used to say,
there was a better way, but I didn't find it that time.

The issue of circumcision causes fire every time it is discussed. There
are those who feel strongly insulted and defensive about each side of
this discussion. If we are talking about circumcision's effect on
breastfeeding, with references, (juried references,in respected
journals), this is related to breastfeeding, to the science of
breastfeeding. If we are defending our position, this is not. That is
what I meant to say...and what I apparently said so ineptly.

My goal is to keep the discussion centered, focused, and energized. I
missed my mark this time. I couldn't even get in to read archives last
night, because the net was down from late afternoon on here.  Timing was
bad.

I stand corrected. I apologize for my lack of attention, and for my
trigger finger. I do appreciate each side of this discussion, and I hope
that we can move now to the discussions that are so important, ie
helping our fellow LCs to help moms breastfeed.

Thank you all for remaining committed to the science of breastfeeding.
As we grow in our knowledge, we will be able to support breastfeeding in
an even finer way.

Best and warmest regards, Kathleen