Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:56:43 -0400
Marley,
I felt your frustration when reading the LACTNET post you wrote.  I
sometimes feel like choking a coworker when they undo in 10 minutes what
I've worked on an off all day to do.  One solution I have found is that
education, education and more education, and then time and more time
works sometimes.  We also made the use of nipple shields an IBCLC
decision, with an informed consent signed first.  This is mandatory.  No
one but the LC's have access to a shield (They are locked up as tight as
the narcotics!)  If an RN were to introduce a shield, she would be going
against policy and disciplined accordingly.  That way, I still can use
one if necessary.   I usually only use them when the mom is at the point
of quitting, and I find that many times, she does well.....with the
proper education and followup.  The RN's then can help the mother
breastfeed with the shield, but only after the consent is signed and the
LC has instructed her.
We also have a problem with supplementing babies that don't need it.  I
think they do it because they don't want to spend the time helping her
to learn to breastfeed properly.  It's easier to give them formula than
to help correct the breastfeeding problem.
We held a mandatory workshop for all the nurses with much basic info and
they all know that, like it or not, it is a part of their job.  The
supplementing is not as common now, but I think it probably happens now
sometimes, and they don't chart it to avoid getting in trouble.  I don't
have a clue how to stop that, but just let me catch them!!!
Sorry this is so long, but I too, share your frustration sometimes.  I
would hate for you to get rid of shields totally because occassionally,
they are necessary. I would rather have a mom breastfeed with a shield,
than quit.
Good Luck,
Wendy