From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:53:30 +1100
Guilt alone doesn't work.  I suspect that gruesome anti-smoking campaigns we
have seen here are more fear-based than guilt based (pictures of a
gangrenous foot, mouth cancer or child wearing an oxygen mask).  If the NYC
campaign is modelled on the Australian Quit Campaign (or vice verca) mass
media messages were supported by significant policy and legislative change;
a well funded counselling service; education for health professionals and
the wider community about the dangers of smoking - and the support services
available - and a significant attitudinal change amongst that community.
There is a significant body of work discussing the ethics of fear and guilt
appeals in the social marketing literature.  (Google "social marketing" and
guilt or fear)  Social marketing is not just about PSAs.  It is a
multifaceted approach to behaviour change.
In Australia we have breastfeeding initiation rates approaching 90%.
However, our continuation rates are about the same as in the US and the UK.
Mothers here know that breastfeeding is important.  They want breastfeeding
for their babies.  But their efforts are usually met with insurmountable
opposition in real, day-to-day, life.  Health professional don't often have
the skills to help them overcome the practical difficulties they encounter;
breastfed babies do not live up to the expectations of many mothers, health
professionals and others - and mothers are judged accordingly; women often
need to return to paid work apart from their babies sooner than they would
like; child care centres are not always comfortable handling human milk;
employers are usually not comfortable providing lactation breaks or flexible
return to work; some mothers are uncomfortable with breastfeeding in public
- as are some members of our community.  Doesn't matter if mothers know that
formula feeding will increase their kid's likelihood of hospitalisation in
the first year if they also know that there is no other choice realistically
available to them.
Cheers
Nina Berry
Australia