From:
Charlotte Esau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 11:35:58 -0500
On 7/18/98 7:47 AM CDT, Laura Hart <[log in to unmask]> said

>Jane,
>This Lactnet issue was NOT red. Must be someone/something else. Maybe it's
>not
>AOL. Who knows? Certainly not me. I just take the advise of others who know
>more than I do.
>I guess we'll just have to keep searching for an answer if it happens again.
>Sincerely,
>Laura Hart
>Winter Park FL

I've kept quiet before, because others seemed so sure that they knew it
was the AOL subscribers settings, but my experience has been that it's
not AOLers with the problem. I have a standard post that I share on lists
when this comes up and rather than retype it, I'll just paste it in
here... please forgive the lack of personalizing it for this list...

It takes some detective work to find the problem and unless you know what
to look for, it usually takes an AOL person to find it... (as they are
the only ones who seem to get red digests)... I'll skip how to do the
detective work for now and just share how we fixed it...

A problem has come to my attention dealing mainly with Microsoft Outlook
Express, but could also be caused by some other email programs.

The problem is that some email programs are sending HTML codes along with
the email. The mail list software is apparently smart enough to remove
these from the individual posts, but they remain in the digests.
Unfortunately, this seems to be affecting people who read their email on
AOL, resulting in strange colored backgrounds and very hard to read text.

When sending email to a mail list, it is best to only send Plain Text.
Please turn off anything that sounds like 'enhanced' or HTML, or
formatted text when sending to the list so that everyone can read your
email easily.

if you have Microsoft Outlook Express (typically one of the causes)
     Go to Tools, click Options.
     In Options, click on the "Send" folder.
     In "Send", check "Plain Text" (rather than HTML),
          then click on "Settings".
     In "Settings", check "MIME" (rather than Uunencode,
          or whatever else is there), and choose "none"
          for "encode text using".

I don't know if this is the problem with AOLers seeing Lactnet in red,
but it was on my other lists... perhaps everyone could just double check
their settings... AOLers might want to see if anyone who sent posts in a
red digest seem to always show up in red digests, as that's how we found
out who the 'guilty' parties were...

Hope I'm not stepping on any listmom's toes (sure don't mean to, really!:)