Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 01:16:33 EDT
Baby not back to birth weight? Is the baby really starving?

It is important to SEE the baby, and give fluids if baby is clinically
appearing to need fluids, or give calories if it appears to need calories.
The  recommendation for the ounces per kilo for  growth comes from.
artificially fed formula fed patterns. If the baby is voiding and stooling,
maybe intake at the breast is marginal but can be improved.

I like to use a rule of "feed the baby", but I try to feed the baby its
mother's breastmilk. If fixing the breastfeeding in a visit will most likely
result in more milk intake, give it a day or two,and check them again, only if
baby clinically looks good. Make sure the plan is there and you have some
indication that you have identified a probable cause, and let them work on it.
Follow closely. This works for a portion of the mothers that I see.

Diane W. mentioned supplements of moms milk. While a pump is not always
necessary to fix bf problems,   I also use the supplement of expressed milk
pumped in am given in pm for some mothers. Several mothers have really seemed
to like doing this, and weight climbed nicely.

Fritzi Drosten RN, IBCLC
Northern Ca Kaiser