From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 18:35:41 -0400
Interesting that she excoriates "self-sacrificing breastfeeders," leaving
the impression that if left to their own devices, women would not
breastfeed.  At the same time women whose doctors are discouraging them
from breastfeeding for a variety of stupid reasons seem to be getting the
message that their desire to breastfeed is somehow self-indulgent and
narcissistic - the "opposite" faction in Burchill's piece.

What a sad, bitter, angry woman she must be.  I don't guess there's any
room in her dogma for the argument that a woman who wants to breastfeed is,
in fact, following her own path rather than being dictated to by the
patriarchal establishment.

I am not sure that writing more is worth anything.  Clearly her columns are
carried for their shock value and are meant to be provocative.  Might be
better to respond by not being provoked, I don't know.

Thoughtfully -

Mary Renard RN BSN IBCLC
Vienna Virginia  USA

who has now learned *several* dirty versions of the cranial nerves
mnemonic, thanks very much!