From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:02:00 -0700
Helen,

I had to think hard when you brought this up.  I use the term test weights
to differentiate before feed and after feed weights from a single weight
taken during a visit.  I cannot remember using the term in front of the
parents though.  If I intend to do a test weight, to be honest, I usually
blame it on the doctor.  I will say something like, "Since I am sending a
report on to the doctor and doctors LOVE numbers, how about if we put her
back on the scale and see how much milk she took."

I looked back at the last few consult reports and found that I did use the
term there though.  I am wondering now if it is a good idea to imply to
others that this is accepted practice again.  The HCPs that I send the
reports to probably do not know the accuracy of the scale I am using and
might try it on an old-style balance scale and we would be back to where we
were 30 years ago. Llp

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix AZ Where it is back in the mid 70's again (I miss the snow)