From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:29:13 EDT
A few weeks ago I'd posted for info on breastfeeding post T&A and would like
to give an update on the 2 yr old nursling who had a T&A (tonsillectomy,
adenoidectomy) whose ENT initially stated no nursing for 2 wks.  The ENT (and
mom) conferred with other ENT's and then reneged and said it was ok post op.
I heard from the mom recently and she gave me her permission to post her
comments.

Mom informed me that the anesthsiologist suggested she nurse as her child was
recovering from anesthesia.  The little girl did not want to but would hold
the nipple in her mouth for comfort.  Later that day she mom stated, "She ate
a little bit and drank a little, but all she wanted to do was nurse (Thank
God!) .  Every time she would take a sip from her sippy cup, she would cry. "

And imagine if this child wasn't being allowed to nurse at all.

Mom also stated, " I do notice a difference in her breathing already. The Dr
said we will see a big difference by the end of the week or so.  But she
isn't snoring like she was.  I even notice a little difference in the
nursing."
So, it appears the surgery was warranted and helpful.

My favorite quote from the mother of this child which speaks volumes, "All I
can say, is even though she may not have taken much or vomited some, [the
first day post op] the feelings of comfort were there for her (and for me).
Its amazing to know that no matter what else I do as a mother, the BF is such
a comfort for both of us."

I'd like to thank everyone again for your responses.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC