From:
Brianne Curry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:22:14 -0400
Wendy, you raise a good point.

During my daughter's infancy, I had the privilege of having a local lactation
consultant come to my home. While she was in my room, helping us to
breastfeed, she noticed the few bottles of free formula that had been sent
home with me from the hospital.  Having a 1 week old baby, I hadn't got
around to doing any unpacking or anything, so they were sitting on the shelf,
exactly where they were when I'd first arrived home.  I had no intention at all
of using them (I hadn't even known they were in my bag when I left, or I
wouldn't have left with them), and just had them there so I could take them
back to the hospital at some point. The LC commented on the formula and
commended me for being able to have it in the home and not "succumb to the
temptation of using it" (which I found mildly offensive in and of itself, as
though I was weak to the powers of marketing). She then suggested I donate
it to a shelter. I found this extremely disturbing.  Here she was, doing her very
best to help me breastfeed successfully: me, an educated, middle class white
woman, for whom it shouldn't have been an option to formula feed. Yet, she
wanted me to donate it to a shelter? Why was it not ok for me to formula
feed, but it was ok for poor women? I found this odd, and never really had the
courage to mention it to her at the time. I would have encouraged her to take
an hour to go visit those women, rather than have me donate the free
formula.