From:
Julie Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 23:57:10 -0400
Jaye,

I had one of those babies who snored, very loudly, while she slept, from
almost the beginning.  She was so loud that if I was on the phone with my
mother and nursing at the same time, my mom could tell the precise moment
she fell asleep.  She was born healthy and gained fine, but woke very
frequently during the night for a long time, and I would nurse her back to
sleep (for a 10 month stretch, many nights it was every twenty minutes).  I
theorized that she woke herself up with her snoring.  One of those sound
machines helped somewhat, but not enough!  Boy, was I a zombie those days!
After some poo-pooing by my pediatrician, I took her to a well-respected
pediatric ENT when she was about 7 months old.  She fell asleep on me while
we were waiting so he got to hear it for himself.  He was unimpressed.  He
examined her, ruled out sleep apnea, and told me she had enlarged adenoids.
He said she would "grow into them."  At age 2.5, she stopped snoring.  Thank
G-d, she is now a bright, healthy 7.5 year old who breathes loudly while she
sleeps, and mouth breathes at night, but no longer snores, and sleeps well.
The only other thing that might be of note is that she was born with mild
low muscle tone, for which she has had some physical therapy, and has pretty
much always compensated for.  I always wondered if that was a factor too.
Hope this mom finds out what's going on with her babe.  And that everyone
sleeps better soon.

Warmly,
Julie Rosen, LLLL, CD, PCD, LCCE