From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 07:55:24 -0500
Dear all:

I know the FDA did specify that powder shouldn't be used when babies are very young, but that doesn't mean that powder magically becomes safe after their specified high risk period.  I have seen NO studies showing that the bacteria disappears from the powder, nor any really good studies proving that the day specified by the FDA (I think it was 21 days) is linked to a dramatic reduction in risk.   Very young infants were not meant to be ingesting germs.  They were meant to be ingesting mothers milk and being exposed to good microbes via the vaginal canal and licking mom's skin.

I personally tell parents that I would try to stay away from contaminants as much as possible, but that the risks of adverse events from babies ingesting something contaminated is probably less by the time they can crawl around on their own and find their own bacteria to ingest off the floor.  My son was a master at speed crawling and could slip away very quickly in the Museum of Natural History and find the gum stuck to the floor if I didn't watch him like a hawk.  I don't know why he went after the gum or why he even thought of trying to plaster his mouth to something stuck to the floor.

As near as I can tell all the latest recalls have been powder.  I see no good reason other than special circumstances where mom doesn't have enough breast milk and there is a specific brand for a specific condition that only comes in powder for ever touching the stuff.

Best regards, Susan Burger