Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:26:13 -0400
>A local PNP heard from the Ross salesman that there's a
>study to show that it interfered with some of breastmilk's properties.

Ross presented that data in an effort to try to get hospitals to use their
Human Milk Fortifier (HMF) over the competitors.  It seems that the Ross
brand has a low iron content as compared to the competitor. This was shown
not to interfere with the action of lactoferrin in human milk, according to
that study.  According to Jan Riordan in Breastfeeding and Human Lactation,
3rd edition, pg 109 “Excess iron tends to saturate lactoferrin and thereby
diminish its antiinfective properties”.  That is why I advise mothers not to
mix human milk and formula.  If you mix high iron formula and human milk,
lactoferrin’s antiinfective properties could be diminished.  Also, the taste
of the two is so different.  I would rather see the infant enjoy the
unadulterated taste of human milk at least some of the time.

Donna More’