Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 00:32:56 EST
Forgive me for bring up this subject again, but I need to ask any of you who
may work for a hospital if you have an existing policy in place for the
supplementation of formula for the breastfed baby.  I am trying to protect our
babies from unnecessary supplement.  Our peds and some of our nurses get
formula happy if a newborn hasn't eaten every 3 hours in the first 24 hours of
life.  If they are too sleepy to eat after the initial breastfeed (during the
1st hours of life), nurses get nervous and as each consecutive hour goes by
get more nervous.  I have suggested that they do a dextrostix first.  If
borderline, do another test in one hour.  If low, supplement. If o.k., leave
baby alone.  I suggested they must  prove low blood sugar before treating.  I
got this info from a lactnetter who said they have a policy in place at her
facility.  I think this is a good policy but I would like to have a copy of it
or a copy of one of yours out there that I could present for approval.  Thanks
alot.  ASAP would really be appreciated.
Loni Denman, R.N., CLE, IBCLC