From:
Judith Hayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:56:26 -0500
>"We are recommending sterilizing bottles for any formula that is being
>stored. Milk is a wonderful growth medium."
>
>[Perhaps "powerful growth medium" or "dangerously effective
>growth medium,"

This was intended as sarcasm.  Sorry it didn't come across that way.

>Boiling water also concentrates the lead in it.  (As well as
>other things, but since lead is a big public health concern,
>it's worth mentioning.)

Actually lead is not at all a public health concern in my area.  The
lead content of water is highly regulated and closely monitored as well
below the Provincial standards.  Since it's an agricultural area,
nitrates are far more of a concern.  Lead was a concern for my friend in
New Hampshire when her baby was little.

Everyone's local issues are unique.  The point is that too much boiling
concentrates solutes in water.

Judith

Judith Hayman, RN, IBCLC, BSc, BScN
Public Health Nurse & Lactation Consultant