Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 21:57:00 -0800
This is wonderful, thanks for sharing.

I, too, just found an interesting book, called Being Born.  copywrite
1936 but reprinted in 1954.  Chapter 9 deals with the milk.  Here are
some quotes..

"Getting your food in a nice, digested, fluid form delivered straight
into your blood, without ever your feeling or knowing anything about it,
is one thing; and having to suck it from your mother's breasts with your
new mouth is quite another."

"Because human milk is the best possible food for human babies, many
women who have more milk than they need sell it to hospitals.
 Originally a wet nurse fed other people's babies at the breast just as
she did her own.  Today her milk is frequently expressed by a breast
pump and shipped in proper containers to some hospital where, together
with the milk of other wet nurses, it is made ready for those babies who
require it."

There is much talk of formula and such, as well.  I think this book was
written for young people--a sex ed course.  It has quite a few very
graphic (for it's time) illustrations.

I love old books.  I have a 1920's planned parenthood book.  Very
interesting.

Joylyn