From:
Jo Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 09:33:32 -0500
Subj: thumbsucking

 In> of course has other things to do. I'm not suggesting that all babies
 In> must be held continuously by the mother with continuous access to the
 In> breast -- just that that is what they have evolved to expect, and their
 In> sucking instincts have evolved accordingly. When you look at mothers

All this discussion has been interesting but I'm surprised no one has
mentioned overactive letdown.  I experienced this with my daughter,
and her solution seemed to be thumb sucking, which she didn't start
till she was 3 months old, and she would refuse to nurse.  I might
be the only mother alive who adamantly held her daughter in the
nursing position so she could suck her thumb and I'd know it wasn't
because she thought I was unwilling to nurse right then.

Jo Clark, LLLL