From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:48:44 -0400
Jeanette Panchula wrote:
>In re-certification, not only should we be looking at "did they take xx or
YY course" but also - consider, besides "Ethics" and "Lactation" courses -
that "counseling" courses be added...as this is as important a skill as
assessing for a frenulum or correct latch.  If we cannot communicate these
findings in a gentle, responsive, appropriate way - our knowledge is
useless.<

Exactly!

We need to both have the information AND be able to communicate it. I will
go further than Jeanette, and say that  a course on counseling skills should
be included in the prerequisites for taking the BASIC IBLCE exam. I have
just returned from a breastfeeding conference where a variety of topics were
offered. The overwhelming response to the one I presented  - yes, on
counseling skills! - was that of being grateful for information that could
be used immediately and consistently as a strategy to improve breastfeeding
outcomes. In the past I have offered more advanced "Case Studies" types of
presentations, and I was a little hesitant about doing one on *just* the
basics. It was very surprising to hear that this was the first time most of
the participants had ever taken anything similar.

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC
Breastfeeding Matters in the Capital Region
www.NormaRitter.com
Join us on Facebook for the latest birthing and breastfeeding news and
views:
http://tinyurl.com/BMCRonFB