From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:27:44 -0400
It is important to remember to mention to this manager that the burden
of proof of safety of intervention lies with the one who is intervening.
Where is the evidence that induction/pit is safe?

You see? This is just another example of make the wrong person jump the
hoops, because it is part of a gigantic power shift/struggle among those
who work with mothers. And many women who are new mothers are powerless
within themselves to advocate for humane birthing practices...as they
have been taught to submit and not to question "professional" judgement.

The evidence based idea goes only so far...evidence is not universally
used as a gold standard unless it fits an unspoken motive or criteria of
those who have more power in the overall balance of things.

Kathleen