From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:31:22 EST
In a message dated 2/13/1 7:12:20 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Now a question...  what is the major difference between soy and organic
soy?  does organic soy have the same "bad" things associated with it as
regular soy?>>

It's interesting to me that we are all so willing to jump on the anti-soy
bandwagon, but are so readily willing to overlook the extreme medical risks
of consuming cow's milk. We tell mothers that human milk is species-specific
as a pro-bf fact and then manage to overlook this when they become toddlers.
Cow's milk is species-specific, too! If cow's milk is a dangerous beginning
for the human gut, how is it suddenly the perfect food for a 2-year old?

<<And what do you all tell your moms with kids that are say 5 years and
allergic to cow's milk?  what if they don't want soy?  do you just tell them
that milk isn't needed and get calcium and protein from other sources if they
aren't still nursing?>>

I actually use the species-specific conversation as an opportunity to
introduce to new parents the folly (IMO) and utter illogic of feeding cow's
milk to humans. I am hopeful that I can get them to delay its introduction or
limit its use, even if all of the "dairy" industry propaganda will persuade
them "it does a body good" in the long run. I also find that for many
parents, when the baby is sensitive to cow's milk in the mom's milk is the
first time they ever really learn anything true about nutrition. By true, I
mean something they didn't learn from the "Dairy" Board, formula makers and
the like. I agree with the person who said "everyone else (other than
infants/toddlers on mama's milk) should drink water".
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA