Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:17:10 -0300
> The cartoonist is a woman, Lynn Johnston. She is (was?) in Lynn Lake,
> Manitoba, way up in northern Canada.  The strip mirrors her own family, to a
> point. She has two children so the father, mother, dog, and the oldest two
> in the strip, Michael and Elizabeth, are based on her family.

Lynn has several books out with references to breastfeeding. I can't
remember the details of her own breastfeeding experience, but she has
always "got" what it means to be a breastfeeding mom.
My feeling is that before we make suggestions about educational
opportunities to artists, writers, etc. is that we should check out what
they do themselves. Her attitudes towards mothering are pretty clear,
and I wouldn't want her to feel like she was not respected for the
wonderful support she has given parents and families over the many years
she has worked.
I've been enjoying her work since the early 80s. I continue to look
forward to the insights she can give me as our "children" grow into new
stages.
Jo-Anne