Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:53:26 EDT
Nikki noted:

Put  babies down to sleep in a prone position and the risk of SIDS
increases.  Put babies down supine increases their risk of head flattening
and  developmental delay.
*************************************

But she forgot to mention the supine position has increased our  epidemic
proportions of severe reflux/GERD in babies.  See Colic Solved by  Bryan
Vartabedian.  For which many babies are taken off breastfeeding and  put on
medications and thickened formula.

While I'd rather have a baby with a flat head and reflux than no  baby due
to SIDS, we have a responsibility to teach parents that they HAVE to  put
their babies on their tummies several times a day.  Some parents are
terrified to do skin to skin because it puts the baby on his tummy.  And  so, as
Nikki pointed out, we have the separators -- the bucket, the crib, the  swing,
the johnny jump-up (or whatever).  But mostly the bucket.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Education  Consultants
_www.lactationeducation.com_ (http://www.lactationeducation.com/)