Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 12:03:53 EST
In a message dated 11/05/1999 6:46:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Why don't some Christians set this guy straight? He is making a mockery
 of there sacred scriptures. >>

I must come out of lurking briefly......

We are trying.  There are at least three of us (Christians) who are members
of ILCA & have spoken about this at ILCA conferences.  Additionally, this
topic has been included in conferences for psychotherapists, other
breastfeeding and parenting conferences, parachurch ministries, and in
various media venues.

I've been battling this for a decade now.  I've met with the Ezzos and
corresponded by letter and phone with them.  The only positive response
(IMHO) that I received from them was when they began to include in their
books a portion of my suggestions about indications that baby is getting
enough.

People cannot "set them straight" just like that.  First, they are being paid
handsomely for what they do.  Secondly, they are adored by followers, who
tell glowing stories of success, such as was recently recounted on Lactnet.
Since we Americans live in a culture that still doesn't understand the
breastfeeding relationship, we are a long way from the day when the average
parent understands that it is oh-so-much more than getting a specific milk
into the baby's stomach.  Given the fact that we are on our third generation
of mother-baby pairs who are sadly missing the experience of intimacy that
leads to life-long abilities in emotional attachment, we cannot expect that
our culture as a whole will see anything wrong with leaving a baby alone in a
crib to cry for an hour.

Scripture-twisting is a common practice.  Gary Ezzo was admonished about this
at in the church which began (and now have disavowed) his programs.  He
simply won't see his well-defended behavior as wrong in any way.  He is, in
some respects, the result of a nonattached society that values religious
freedom to the point of supporting irresponsibility.

But it certainly isn't for lack of trying to "set him straight".

Nancy Williams