From:
Mary Orchiston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:37:04 -0400
Young 18 year old primip planned to artificially feed.  Baby had already
had 2 feeds when I  met her.  Mum Hep B+ so baby should have been bathed at
birth but for some reason it hadn't been done.  I assisted mum to bath her
baby and then tucked it in with her skin 2 skin as the best way to keep
baby warm afterwards.  Within the hour the baby had started rooting for
breast so she thought she would have a try, baby latched and fed like a
champion.  Mum decided to keep breastfeeding and later that day sent home
all the formula and bottles she had brought in so she wouldn't be tempted
to use them!  Really works.
Mary Orchiston RN, IBCLC
New Zealand