From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:12:23 EST
Hi Diane,
Thanks for the suggestion. This was included in the post;
>> I did try to interest this Mom in *attempting* at the breast, explaining
that the physiology of the suck might eliminate the issue blah, blah. No go,
this was her 4th child, she had *tried*
to nurse her first and it was a *nightmare*<<
The *blah,blah, blah was* an attempt to suggest that I did get rather heavily
into a discussion about the risks of aspirating formula vs. breastmilk etc. I
briefly touched on pumping as an alternative but her emphasis on her distaste
for the equipment brought on by the last LC led me to predict that she would
have a *visceral* reaction to the suggestion of pumping.... and she did!
This babies *discomfort* w/ bottle fdng was definitely on the extreme end of
what I've seen and I have seen a large number of uncomfortable bottle fdrs
after years in NICU and nursery! I even wonder if he had a degree of
tracheomalacia and because of that would have been fascinated to see the
degree that the breast suck physiology would have affected the problem. I had
to hold myself back from begging to try "just once" while I was there! I
think she was afraid of the possibility that the breast would cure the
problem and then she would feel tied to it.
Bizarre, I know . People certainly have a convoluted way of thinking and
rationalizing!
And people think this job is easy.........!!!
Lynn