From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 00:00:39 EST

In a message dated 4/1/2005 8:01:24 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Dear  Lactnets;
I have a client that will be traveling to Canada from Us for 4-5  days
without baby. Plans to save EBM to bring back. Has access to a  friends
freezer while she is there. Can you transport dry ice on an  airplane to
keep the milk frozen. I'm not sure how long the flight is. She  is
planning on packing milk in with luggage in a cooler. I thought  frozen
water bottles may keep better then packed regular ice if dry ice  not
allowed. Let me know your thoughts, and wisdom.
Yours in  lactation,
Terri Klein, RN, CLE, CLC

From Darillyn in a previous post:
Actually, it is possible that she doesn't really want to leave her baby
behind...  She might
even be thankful to have someone give her  "permission" to take her baby with
her, and assure her that there will be  ample time to travel with no baby,
in the future!
*******************************
From Christie:
As someone who has traveled with breastfed babies extensively I highly
recommend it versus pumping and transporting milk.  It wasn't clear to me  from the
original post whether or not this mom was traveling for business or
pleasure.  If this is a business trip and she won't be available for the  baby during
meetings etc. could a family member or friend go with her and the  baby?  Does
the friend with the freezer also have a good sitter or would  they be willing
to watch the baby?  I agree with Darillyn that sometimes  mom need permission
to think and act outside the box.  People all looked at  me sideways when I
took my kids on business trips (I flew my in-laws to where  ever that was to
spend time with the kids while I was working) and some of those  were after they
were weaned!  I just refuse to leave my kids for more than  a couple of
nights and not at all if they won't be with Dad at night (he is out  of the country
a lot with the Army).  This is large expense and a  logistical pain but worth
the effort when one considers the logistical nightmare  of transporting milk
and worry of leaving a baby.  This might not be  feasible for mom but many
times I have suggested this to mothers and find out  that no one else even
thought it was an option (including mom!).
Best of luck to her!
Christie Pillado