From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 13:25:16 -0800
>She
>reports that the nipple and areola are dark red and tender to touch,
>but appx. 10 minutes after nursing the nipple turns white and is very
>painful for about 5-10 min.  The nurse also said that 5 times during
>the past 8 wks (baby is 8 wks old) the patient has c/o of temperature,
>chills, and body aches that resolve with 1 dose of tylenol.  She has
>been evaluated for mastitis on more than 1 occasion.

Beverly,
This sure sounds like Raynaud's phenomena of the nipple.  May I suggest
you search under "raynaud's" and also under "vasospasm" in the Lactnet
archives?  This has been discussed a few times, and some interesting
ideas suggested.  The most basic suggestion is for mom to keep the
breast/nipples warm as much as possible, using warm cloths right after
breastfeeding, etc.  She would also want to avoid cool air, such as car
air conditioners, from blowing on her chest area.

I also suffered from transient chills starting about 3 weeks postpartum
with each baby.  It was not mastitis nor any type of infection, but
apparently my body's reaction to the drop in hormones after birth.  I had
to be very careful to avoid getting chilled, such as walking outside at
night even briefly without a sweater or jacket, or getting up in the
middle of the night to go to the bathroom or get baby from cradle. The
sensation was strongest at first onset, and gradually faded over a few
months.

My guess is that the chills and the nipples turning white are separate
phenomena from each other and also from the yeast infection.  Ain't it
fun to have overlapping issues?

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC