Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:40:03 EST
Hello to All,
        A very grateful THANK YOU to those of you who took the time to reply to my
request for help with the mom who had only colostrum on day 8.  As of last
night, day 10, mom still was getting very little milk, but it was
transitioning to mature milk.  She is continuing to pump and started on
fenugreek.  She wanted to just try one remedy at a time.  The baby is still
hospitalized and so far has been found to have UTI.  She is having kidney
tests today. MD says he isn't sure if the UTI, (possibly due to a kidney
problem), caused the baby not to feed or the baby not feeding caused the UTI.
Baby is being fed ABM by bottle with what ever breastmilk mom pumps.  Mom has
nursed her occasionally between feedings for comfort.  I have suggested finger
feeding, but hospital staff has no clue and mom is too overwhelmed to take it
on.  Mom had increased vaginal bleeding the past 2 days and a fever last
night. She was to check with midwife about possible infection. I won't be
surprised if there is retained placenta after all.  The plan is to get the
baby back home, mom better, and then work again on getting baby back to the
breast.
        I did investigate all the possibilities suggested by all of you and
everything checks out as far as the mom's health, nipples, etc. I am still
unsure if mom didn't get milk because baby didn't feed well or if baby didn't
feed well because mom didn't have milk.  In the final analysis I think not
enough breast stimulation is certain and maybe the retained placenta and
infant illness.  We'll just wait and see.  I have learned a lot form this.
Thank You again.
Judy Gutowski, IBCLC
near Pittsburgh, PA where it is sunny and bright, but still cold