From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:31:24 +0100
It seems we can expect that people will be trying, despite the e-bay ban on
selling human milk there, to make some quick money auctioning off their milk
there.  Strictly speaking it is a digression from Lactnet's focus to discuss
that here, unless Lactnet is specifically mentioned in the e-bay description
of the item for sale (shudder).
While there are some items I might well purchase over the internet from
total strangers, human tissue would not be among them, nor would I ever
advise anyone to do so.  How would they know it was even human milk?  How
would they verify the freshness, or the quality?  I am a fan of organized
banking of such things, just as I am a fan of certification of credentials,
as an effort to inform and protect the public.
Let's us stick to helping mothers breastfeed, and those of you who visit
e-bay, keep alerting them to these human milk sales whenever you come across
them, so they can take them off their site, since we must assume there will
be someone trusting enough to bid on it and they could be doing so for a
baby who really wouldn't be making an informed choice.  But is it really
necessary to post to Lactnet about it every time?  We could be inundated
with such posts, and to what end?
For the record, I do not have a problem with friends or relatives
breastfeeding each other's children, nor providing milk for one another, in
situations of mutual consent between acquaintances.

Rachel Myr
Who gets positively queasy if her toothbrush comes in contact with anyone
else's toothbrush in her own immediate family, but manages with no such
troubles to work as a midwife (!)