From:
Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 11:41:24 -0700
>right breast was noticably larger, heavy, and has milk; has been feeling
>>nauseous in
>the mornings and has several other symptoms of pregnancy. She feels she just
>cannot handle another baby with only one arm.

She may not *wish* to have another baby for a variety of reasons, including
a dysfunctional arm, but she should feel she *can* handle the baby with one
arm, if that turns out to be her situation.  A recent issue of Human
Lactation had three case studies of mothers with missing limbs who
breastfed their babies; perhaps you could find the article and copy it off
for her.  I am sure it would give her confidence.

>What could have caused one breast to suddenly become "slightly engorged with
>milk" after all this time?

If sudden, then pregnancy, or a pituitary tumor (not breast cancer), seem
most likely to me (but not the only possibilities).  Milk production that
persists for quite some time after weaning is not that unusual, however.
Maybe someone else on LactNet will contribute an estimate for how many
months or years would still be "normal."

She might want to get tests to rule out the first two possibilities, for
peace of mind.

Arly                [log in to unmask]
MS, CLE, IBCLC