From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 00:04:41 +0500
I had two of my kids at the eye clinic today and found the copy of Am. Baby
referred to here on Lactnet a few days ago.  I was horrified to read not
only the article mentioned already on crying and the idea that
breastfeeding a fussy baby "who ate not long ago" will "interfere with the
establishment of a normal feeding schedule," but the whole issue of this
magazine.  The antibreastfeeding tone throughout was really discouraging,
as were all the bottle and abm ads.  The editorial at the beginning stated:
 "Here's something else you shouldn't feel guilty about: how you choose to
feed your baby.  While experts generally agree that breastfeeding and
breast milk are best during the first year, many parents opt for
bottlefeeding.  Each parent makes the choice based on a variety of factors,
and bottlefeeding mothers should feel as comfortable with their decision as
nursing mothers do..."  This issue then features a big article on
bottlefeeding.  That article includes statements such as, "The chemical
makeup of today's formulas approaches that of breast milk, so babies fed
formula do quite well from a nutritional standpoint."  No drawbacks are
mentioned at all.
        Other articles say that breastfed babies had stools "twice as
frequently as formula-fed babies" (no age mentioned), and had glowing
testimonials from mothers who had loved their epidurals, with no mention of
effects on breastfeeding.
        I wrote a letter to the editor and will send a copy to the Texas
WIC Breastfeeding Media Watch.  Perhaps others can do this too.  (I also
got the office receptionist's permission to remove this "waiting room copy
- please do not remove" magazine from the clinic, and I explained why it
was harmful for new parents to read.)

Anne Altshuler, IBCLC