From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:48:48 EDT
In a message dated 6/11/2005 8:34:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

However, I'd  suggest that if she is going to pump that 5-10 minutes a time
is on the low  side...maybe she'd start at 10 for a few days so that her
nipples get a bit  used to it but I usually suggest 6-8x a day for 20-30
mins.
Dear Colleagues:
    Karleen reminds us of what we have traditionally  held as a pumping
schedule. However, oxytocin and prolactin research (McNealy,  among others;
probably Odent too and maybe Klaus) shows that babies feed in  clusters, arranging
the 140-150 minutes/24 hours attachment (Righard,  DeCarvalho, Kung-San
pattern). A more frequent pattern would be to pump more  frequently, for shorter time,
say 5-10 minutes which is a baby snack; this would  keep prolactin levels
high as the mom catches the milk wave.
    Some women like the scheduled approach, and perhaps  their storage
capacity (Hartmann et al) makes that work, for them.
    Other women do better using the pump, their  "electronic baby", more
randomly, like a baby. Try pumping for 5 minutes every  time you walk by the pump,
or think about your baby. Do some 'power pumping'  (Acker, personal
communication), every hour for 10 minutes for 4 hours, then go  back to the schedule.
That will work well for other women.
    Just a suggestion.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth  Initiative