Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:03:58 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Dear all:

I am intermittantly mechanically inclined.  I build my son's bunkbed and drew lot splits 
and cabinet details for my dad when he moonlighted as an architect, tiled a backsplash 
behind our sink and stove, but cannot program a phone.

So, with this inermittant inclination to take some devices apart and not others, I have 
pulled apart the face plates of many a used pump.  If you have ever done this with one 
that was dirty from spilled milk or one that had lots of condensation, you will understand 
why there is a warning for single user use.  When you see the mildew that can grow 
inside and have several clients such as I have --- well to do, good doctors --- who have 
been sickened for months because of mildew in their heating system, you develop a good 
healthy fear of the unseen possibilities of what might be in the pump.  

The newer models make it more difficult to check.  Nothing like a good coating of mildew 
or old milk to demonstrate to a mother why she might not want to use that old pump that 
has been passed around through a circle of friends.

Then, the issue of milk removal.  That is a harder one for mothers to contemplate.  There 
is the "well, it might work for me" attitude.  Sometimes it does work for them.  And other 
times it does not.  This is the more common issue I see.

As for the noises, what I hear here is "white noise" of the kind that sometimes puts 
baby's to sleep.  The other pump I haven't listened to as much because the company 
doesn't allow retailers to sell spare parts and so at least one retailer refuses to actively 
promote the pump until they give her the spare parts for when the tired mom melts them 
down after sterilization ---- or does one of the many other things that tired moms can do.  
I had one mom whose toddler snuck them away to use as playtoys.

Best, Susan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2