From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:03:58 -0400
Dear all:

I am intermittantly mechanically inclined.  I build my son's bunkbed and drew lot splits
and cabinet details for my dad when he moonlighted as an architect, tiled a backsplash
behind our sink and stove, but cannot program a phone.

So, with this inermittant inclination to take some devices apart and not others, I have
pulled apart the face plates of many a used pump.  If you have ever done this with one
that was dirty from spilled milk or one that had lots of condensation, you will understand
why there is a warning for single user use.  When you see the mildew that can grow
inside and have several clients such as I have --- well to do, good doctors --- who have
been sickened for months because of mildew in their heating system, you develop a good
healthy fear of the unseen possibilities of what might be in the pump.

The newer models make it more difficult to check.  Nothing like a good coating of mildew
or old milk to demonstrate to a mother why she might not want to use that old pump that
has been passed around through a circle of friends.

Then, the issue of milk removal.  That is a harder one for mothers to contemplate.  There
is the "well, it might work for me" attitude.  Sometimes it does work for them.  And other
times it does not.  This is the more common issue I see.

As for the noises, what I hear here is "white noise" of the kind that sometimes puts
baby's to sleep.  The other pump I haven't listened to as much because the company
doesn't allow retailers to sell spare parts and so at least one retailer refuses to actively
promote the pump until they give her the spare parts for when the tired mom melts them
down after sterilization ---- or does one of the many other things that tired moms can do.
I had one mom whose toddler snuck them away to use as playtoys.

Best, Susan