From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 03:31:20 +0000
Ann
There seems to be data that polycystic ovary syndrome can be associated with
low milk production. I do not remember if fibrocystic breasts are part of
that syndrome. You could search polycystic and see. If so that is fairly
complex.
However, it seems the bigger problem and what likely is cause of the low
supply is the non-nursing baby x 11 days now. This needs to be explored
further.
why did baby not latch? Is it a term baby? Did she experience breast changes
in pregnancy, and more importantly I think, did she experience lactogenesis
II (a milk surge on day 2-5 or so)? Can a skilled bf helper get the baby to
latch? What kind of pump is the electric pump? Is she using it correctly and
has she been pumping 8x the whole time? Do the flanges fit her correctly?
Could the baby latch with a shield? Could a supply line be used?  Are they
kangaroo caring? I have quite a few moms (unfortunately) who are not bf
optimally. That is they are initiating one or two days postpartum, they are
topping off, they are doing breast and bottle. They lose their milk quickly.
It is use it or lose it and it happens very fast in my experience. If at all
possible, get the two of them bf.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA